Are you a meat eater or a vegetarian? Ultimately it’s up to you to decide on what type of diet suits you best. Some people I see in my clinic only eat vegetarian dishes, and that is fine by me. Personally, I enjoy a nice piece of top quality steak from time to time and feel that this really suits me. I’m not a huge fan of eating red med every day, but enjoy beef at least once per week. Don’t fee bad about having a nice steak, but don’t eat a 500gr steak at ten o’clock at night. Choose quality meat and have a small piece.
Make sure you eat plenty of salad along with it. Don’t let anyone tell you that steak is “impossible” to digest and will sit in your stomach for hours after eating it like a brick. This is factually incorrect, when in fact you will find that lettuce takes just as long if not longer due to the silicon content of the lettuce leaves. Be sure to eat beef that has not been over-cooked or that is tough, it will take a lot longer to digest than beef that has been cooked rare or medium rare.
- 1 sirloin steak, about 200-250g (7-8oz)
- black pepper
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- One third of a cucumber, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- Handful of mung bean sprouts
- ½ red onion, sliced into thin rings
- Small amount of watercress or rocket
- balsamic vinegar
- salad leaves, mesculin is great
- Remove about 80 percent of the fat (but leave some as well) from the steak.
- Grind black pepper (to taste, some like it spicy and hot) over the meat, pressing it into the meat. Turn it over and repeat on the other side.
- Place a heavy frying pan or ridged griddle cast iron pan over a high heat, and add 1 teaspoon olive oil. While it heats up, make the salads.
- Put the cucumber and onion rings , mung bean sprouts and garlic in a bowl, pour over the remaining olive oil and drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Put the salad leaves into another bowl.
- When the oil in the pan begins to smoke, add the steak and cook on one side. After a few minutes- how many will depend on the thickness of the steak and how you like it cooked, but it should not be more than 4 minutes- turn it over and then cook the other side. I like my sirloin steak rare, it tastes great and digests quicker as well.
- Serve immediately once the steak is done to your satisfaction. Put the tomato salad on the plate with the meat and put the bowl with the salad leaves on the table separately. When you’ve eaten the steak and the tomato salad, put the leaves on your plate- the remains of the olive oil and balsamic vinegar from the tomatoes and the juices from the steak will make a delicious dressing for them.